At the Ethical Shop we believe that you have a right to privacy and we take defending that right seriously.
This policy sets out how we treat the personally identifiable information that we ask you to share with us in order to make the site work, in order to fulfil your orders and in order to promote our products and services to you in the future. We sometimes update this page, so it is worth checking back from time to time to ensure that you're happy with any changes. This page was last updated July 2016.
What we collect
In order to make the Ethical Shop work, we need to collect information about our customers. This section details what we collect and how we use it.
- We collect information about you that we need to process your order when you buy from us. This includes things like your name and address, so that we can send you your order; your email address, so that we can contact you about your order or any offers we may be running; and the items you've ordered so that we can ship them to you.
- We use your email to keep you informed about the Ethical Shop, and the work of New Internationalist Publications Ltd, after you have completed a purchase or if you have subscribed to our emails by entering your email address at the bottom of most pages on the Ethical Shop. New customers will be given the option of opting out of the newsletter at the checkout stage of ordering. You can opt out at any time by emailing us at email@example.com, calling our customer care team on 01709 513999 or clicking the unsubscribe link contained within each email.
- When you provide an email address on our checkout we may send a reminder to you if you don't subsequently check out.
- We also collect site usage information using the third-party Google Analytics service. You can opt out of this (see Third Party cookies).
- We collect anonymized data about you in order to send marketing information to you using Google's remarketing tools. You can opt out of this (see Third Party cookies).
- We collect responses to our customer survey and use that information to improve your shopping experience. The survey is entirely optional and you needn't complete it.
- We never store your payment data. We take payments using 2 secure payment processors:
- If you visit the Ethical Shop via one of our partner organizations, we will pass on your details and orders information for analysis and financial reconciliation purposes. You can opt out of further communication at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
A cookie is a small file which we save to your computer. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual and mean that you can do important things like adding things to your basket or logging in and out of the Ethical Shop. For a list of cookies we set see the list of cookies we collect section.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. However, the Ethical Shop may then not work as expected. If you block cookies, you will need to make a note of the items you wish to purchase and phone your order through.
As well as setting cookies directly, we use some cookies from third-party organizations to try and make your experience of the Ethical Shop better. You can block these cookies without affecting how the site works for you using an extension like uBlock or the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Privacy Badger.
- We use Google AdWords' remarketing service to advertise on third party websites (including Google) to previous visitors to the Ethical Shop.
We use Google AdWords remarketing service to advertise on third party websites (including Google) to previous visitors. This might mean that we advertise to previous visitors who have viewed a particular product or who haven’t completed a task like checking out. The advert is shown on a Google search results page, or on a site in the Google Display Network.
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Preferences page and if you want to you can opt out of interest-based advertising entirely by cookie settings or opt out permanently using Google's browser plugin or the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Privacy Badger plugin.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We use TLS encryption to protect information in transit to and from our server, customer data is always encrypted in transit and our server is in a state-of-the art data centre.
Links to other websites
The Ethical Shop has links to other websites. We do not control the websites that we link to, so we cannot be responsible for what you find there or how those sites deal with your privacy. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement of the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by emailing us at email@example.com
- You can use a tool like uBlock or Ghostery to opt out of third-party tracking, ads and cookies
We will not sell, share or lease your personal information to third parties, except if you have followed a partner organization affiliate link or we are required by law to do so. Whenever possible we will make you aware of any lawful requests for your personal information that we have received, so that you are able to defend your privacy in court. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable if you want a paper copy. We will provide an electronic copy at no cost. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us as soon as possible, at email@example.com. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
List of cookies we use
The table below lists the cookies we use,excluding third party cookies and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, which allows us to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency.|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID.|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||You session ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|MW_REFERRAL_FROM||The partner who referred you (if any).|
|MW_REFERRAL_FROM_DOMAIN||The partner domain via which you were referred.|
|MW_REFFERAL_TO||The landing page to which a partner organization referred you.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|